Flowers

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Perfectionism.....it KILLS me!

In my love of DIY/design blogs, I look at a lot of them.  I love before and after pics and I love following a project and then seeing the big "reveal".  I keep wanting to have a "reveal" to post here.  But the projects really are SO HUGE, and SO MANY, that I don't have anything FINISHED. GAH!  I get part way through one thing and in order to even be organized enough to be functional and not hinder our homeschooling, I have to work on something else. 

Then in following The House of Smiths, I read this post about her kitchen re-style, part 5.  Part 5?  Yep.  It was then that I realized that I don't have to have any one room DONE in order to share it with you.  I worked really, REALLY, REALLY hard last year.  I did NOT want a repeat of the December 29 nightmare when I realized that my house STILL looked like I just moved in.

So, I'll share three of my favorite projects with you today.  My dining table, new wall paint, and new molding around our windows and door.

  Our dining room is kind of awkward.  Okay, really awkward.  See for yourself.

These pics were taken about 18 months ago, before I really had ANYTHING organized and before I had a designated sewing/craft area, so don't mind all the chaos on the table.....I was in the middle of a sewing project. lol

This is looking into the family room from the dining room.

 Taken from the same spot, looking across the dining room and out the back windows.  See that table?  That was Handyman's grandmother's table.  A very treasured set that hasn't fit our whole family around it since 2 kiddos ago (think 8 years!), but because it was his grandmother's, we couldn't just get rid of it.....so we kept using it and squeezing everybody around it.  Fortunately, one of his cousins has been wanting it for a very long time, and will be picking it up in the next couple of weeks.  It's been in the basement for about 3 months, just waiting for a new home.
 From the family room looking through the dining room the long way.  Having the bar there limits the size of the walk-way from the garage hall, through the dining room.  You can't see the garage hall from here.  The room is technically 12' x 15'.  But once you allow for a 4' walkway behind the hanging bar stools, and a walkway to the back door, it's more like 8' x 13'.  With the fancy legs on the dining table, we could never push the chairs in far enough on any side, to leave enough walking space that we didn't feel claustrophobic. 
 In this pic, you can see the garage hall.  And who puts carpet in the only designated eating area in the house.  I have days that it takes every ounce of willpower I can muster, to not rip up that carpet and paint the sub-floor.
It took a long time to finally figure out what we wanted to do, but  we knew that this room needed a long, narrow table.  Ana White to the rescue!  I fell in love with this Fancy X Farmhouse Table and knew we had to build it.  Per the plan, it's an 8' table, but we decided to alter it a little bit.  We have a large family and frequently have dinner guests, so we opted to make it a 10' table.  It's perfect!
Uh....yah....cell phone pic was all I could find. I'll take better pics soon.

Here are the after pics of the dining room.



Not great quality pics, but I just snapped them really quickly so I'd have something to show you.  I'll post more details on the projects AND better pics, next week. 

See, I really HAVE been working! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment