Flowers

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Project catch-up: Week #2

So, I really have been working, just not writing. LOL  And those shadow-boxes haven't materialized, although I have been pricing out the stuff I want to put in them.  There are just some other things that are more urgent.

Last week, the nesting bug kicked in full force.  There are some things that have been bugging me that are just not working around here.  We need to do a LOT more reading for our homeschooling, but we're realizing that our family room setup is NOT working.  The couches were NOT comfy enough to sit for 20 minutes a day, let alone the hours a day we really need to be spending there.  We weren't sure we liked where the bookshelves were, either.  The entertainment room needed to change, so I could have a temporary sewing area in the downstairs kitchen that we don't use.  So after talking to Handyman about it on Sunday night (Jan 8), we decided that we would move a bunch of stuff Monday.  Handyman took Monday off because he worked Saturday.

So Monday we moved all the bookcases to a different wall in the family room........and decided that we hated it. :(  I hate the gray in there, and I really didn't want to move them back just to have to move them again to paint that wall.  So Handyman handed me the tape and said, "Get painting then." lol  I've really been dreading all the painting we have to do here, so I'd been putting it off.  It was just kind of overwhelming.  I mean there are a LOT of wall that are horrible colors (and horrible paintjobs) in this house.  But the thought of emptying and moving the bookcases AGAIN was even less appealing, so I bit the bullet and bought some paint. 

I hate buying yellow paint, and I really wanted yellow. One of the problems we have in this house is that there's not a lot of natural light in the area of the house that we spend the most time, so I was really hoping to bring some light into this part of the house with yellow.......yellow is just so easy to screw up, at least for me.  I made the mistake of buying 3 gallons of a yellow paint that I thought I'd like at a different house.  I ended up not liking it, but using it anyway, because I was NOT going to waste my money.  Fortunately for me, I have the Magician.  Apparently he has a great eye for color....who knew?!  After hanging the paint swatches on nearly every wall on the main floor to see how they looked in the different lighting, he picked a yellow called "Natural Straw" by Glidden.  And..........IT'S PERFECT!  Go Magician!  I'm taking him with me to pick out paint colors from now on.

So we've gone from this..........
 (This is the setup we changed it TO and decided we hated.)
 To this.  The bookshelves are back on the same wall, but the gray on that wall is gone and we're loving the yellow.  And yes, the books have all been replaced, but I didn't take anymore pics. lol
 Downstairs in the entertainment room we went from this:
To this:
 Handyman picked up these shelves for $30 each (there are 2 of them) at Re-Store.  Have I told you about Re-Store?  Hmmmmm........I'll have to make another post for Re-Store. :)
 All that work was so that we could turn this unused downstairs kitchen into.........
 A temporary (think 1 year or less) sewing room for me.  It's mostly unpacked now and I've been sewing.  I'll post another pic when I've got it all organized and cleaned up.  On the same Re-store trip, Handydman got this long, narrow table - that you can barely see - for $40.  AND it came with 4 dining chairs, 3 of them matching.  So now I have a sewing ROOM, sewing STORAGE, and a sewing TABLE!  The Messmaker is HAPPY!
 The shelves are now mostly full of my sewing and office stuff and the family games.

Project cost run-down for this week:
Paint: $23
Roller: $1
Tray: $1
Total: $25 with half a gallon of paint left.

It's soooooo nice to have some spaces be more functional and that painting that wall yellow has REALLY inspired me to get some stuff going........and this was just week #2!

No comments:

Post a Comment