Flowers

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Project catch-up: Week #3

After painting that yellow wall, I got all inspired and got to work in the basement.  "The Orange Room" was calling my name.  In case you forgot what we started with:

I started by taking the falling apart shelf out of the closet and then Handyman reinforced the upper shelf and closet rod.  It was falling down, too.  Then I filled holes.  HOLEY HOLES!!!!!  Dozens of pinholes, staple holes, and massive holes that took two coats of spackle with a sanding in between.  There were pinholes that had been painted over, so they kind of had a ridge around them.  Blah!  So, I did quite a bit of sanding Thank goodness for my......er.....I mean Handyman's orbital sander!  Possession is 9/10ths of the law, right?  I guess that probably really does make it MY orbital sander! ;)

Anyway.........I sanded down the ridges and the past poor patch jobs, patched the closet where I took out the shelf and proceeded to patch the dozens of tiny little pinholes.  Then I started priming.  Can I just say I dislike painting closets?  There's just a lot to paint around.  So I did all the priming in corners and edges Thursday night.  3 hours worth.  I ended up needing to prime everything but the ceilng.  I don't think the ceiling has ever been beyond the primer stage anyway.  The door has a big hole in it, so it's going to get repurposed into something else.  I haven't touched the closet doors or the new door yet, but they're going to get the royal treatment, too: primer and all.   Friday morning, I rolled all the primer.....Is it bad that I was GIDDY while I primed over that orange? LOL  In the afternoon I had to take Tornado to the dentist to get a troublesome primary molar pulled.  After our date-night last night, I cut in the ceiling and closet and then dragged my tired body to bed at about 11:30.

I really didn't want to get out of bed this morning. LOL  I'm seriously so tired by Saturday from all the stuff I've been working on during the week, that I just want to stay in bed.  I got up about 9 and started rolling the closet and then the ceiling about 11.  The ceilings in the basement have a really weird texture and it really takes a lot of paint.  I'll try to get a good picture one of these days.  It's just really thick in some places, so I had to use a long nap roller and I've already noticed some placed I'll have to touch-up with a brush.  I took about an hour break before I started the walls......mostly because it was at that point that I realized I'd used the wall paint for the ceiling.  I'd been thinking it was darker than I'd like.  Grrr.......I didn't buy any paint.  It was paint that I'd mixed from leftovers from past projects.  So none of the colors I'm using in the boys's rooms are really colors I'd pick out, but using paint I already have is a whole lot closer to $0 than buying fresh paint.  So I grabbed a few gallons and mixed a few things and came up with something that would work.  Not my favorite combo, but it's better than that ORANGE!

So I got most of it painted......walls are done, closet is done, ceiling is done.  I just need to do trim and doors while Handydman puts new carpet and base trim in.  And while I don't LOVE the color combo, I do love that the orange is gone and we've got a nice soothing blue for two of the boys.  Bedtime should be much easier.....once we finish and can move them in.

Cost run-down so far:  I bought new rollers, covers and paint trays in December and used 3 covers and 3 trays.
Primer: $12
Roller: $3
Covers: $4 for 3
Trays: $3
I'll be buying paint for the trim because I want all the trim in the house to match, and we need to buy base trim, so I'll total the cost then.

So this is what we ended up with:





All in all, it was another very productive week.  And that doesn't even count the sewing I did this week.


1 comment: